Wednesday, September 28, 2005

cephalic gridlock

i think i may be ready to decapitate myself.

when i was 16 years old, my parents took me to an allergist to have me analyzed. in those days i had to lie on my back- very still - for 30 to 40 minutes. a very nice lady walked in with what i believe was an ice pick. she proceeded to puncture and tear the skin in about 100 different places on my back. if i had known the levels of pain reserved for me in later years, i would have considered this to be insignificant. at the time it didn't feel great. then, when she put serum derived from different allergens on each wound, i really felt excited. many of them burned as they seeped into the skin. when the good doctor returned, he examined the reactions created and was very impressed. as he was also a professor at u.t., he asked my permission to photograph my back to be used as an instructive tool to show students how large reactions can get. a badge of honor has really turned into a lead weight around my neck. it turns out that i'm allergic to almost everything.

i'm pretty sure charlotte has played a joke on me. it may be that as i slept she poured 1/4 cup of masonry mortar in each nostril. is it normal to be able to squeeze absolutely no air through your nose? i didn't think so either. and when i talk, i sound like elmer fudd. nice. if i remove my eyeballs and use a belt-sander on them; i'm wondering if it will affect my prescription. i just got new glasses and i don't want to endanger that investment. also, i actually had to pull out the nebulizer and pulmocort yesterday. it is completely unnatural to struggle to breath as if the 400 pound gorilla is on your chest instead of your back.

with all of the crap the pharmaceutical industry has to offer; it amazes me that there isn't anything that works better. and don't try to convince me on local honey or echinacea. they're pretty useless, too.

it is reasonably depressing to me that as much as i love texas, i'm allergic to almost eveything in it. talk about your rotten luck. by the way, what on earth is ragweed, anyway? and why hasn't agent orange been properly employed? can i blame that on mayor nagin and governor blanco, too?