Friday, December 16, 2005

he's too much


this december, some tv station (i can't remember which) is presenting something they call "25 days of christmas." that they refer to the actual christian holiday is noteworthy, but the real treat is that they play some really old christmas shows. my favorites are the stop-animation stuff with rudolph, frosty, and santa claus. my all time favorite is "the year without a santa claus."

the two greatest christmas special characters ever created are found in this cartoon. thanks to the ingenuity of mrs. claus and mother nature; a bargain is struck between heat miser and his brother, snow miser, which allows christmas to resume as originally planned. they are so cool that big bad voodoo daddy has covered their theme songs on their eponymous christmas album. these two brilliantly designed characters have recently made me reanalyze my thinking. am i a heat miser, or am i a snow miser?

it is more than just an existential exercise, it is a defining decision. i do love a cold day. i love the snow. i love the mountains (where cold weather is often found.) but, i love the warm months much more. i love the feel of the hot sun on my face. i love jumping into cool water on a hot day. a cold drink on a hot day does alot more for me than a hot drink on a cold day. i prefer to run around in shorts and a t-shirt. i love it so much that i've been known to dress this way in the dead of february. could i be more happy living in minnesota or south arizona? i think we all know the answer.

in summary, let me state that the long, hot, humid days of summer renew my vigor; while the dark, frozen months of the winter make me want to hide under a blanket...in my long johns.