Thursday, August 24, 2006

go easy bro

it is abundantly clear to me -this week- that life is inordinately difficult. yes, it is full of joy and moments of peace and excitement; but, we all endure agony and disappointment below the surface. i have found that if someone seems to have a perfect life, that is only because i do not know that person intimately enough to see the underbelly of his existence.

i have the fortune -or misfortune- to be in a position to know about people's skeletons far before they are wished to be seen. sure, my job as a hairdresser facilitates these gatherings of information, and being in a bishopric causes me to often hear things i wish i hadn't; but, in reality, it has always been this way. i know alot of people, and for some reason i am trusted with information from many sources...often even from the origin of the event. do not confuse this with thinking i am a gossip. nothing could be farther from the truth. to me gossip is one of the great evils of human existence. i do not participate.

often, the tragedies of life are merely the natural consequences of the decisions made by the individual. "as a man soeth, so shall he reap" and all that. but at times, misfortune seems to be distributed arbitrarily.

just in the last couple of months, friends of mine have experienced:

*the suicide of a brother,
*the death of a 24 week old child,
*divorce,
*loss of a best friend,
*struggle with faith,
*isolation because of "coming out",
*cancer and chemotherapy,
*loss of a job,
*putting a parent in a "home",
*preparing for a spouse to possibly enter a federal penitentiary.

my life seems charmed by comparison.

when i see people slogging through these events in life, i often wonder where one finds the strength to endure these dark days. perhaps this comes from the fact that the sun comes up tomorrow regardless of our desires; and, one way or the other, one must face each day and deal with the realities of life. what else can one do?

i/we have been through days that i wish i had never experienced, and i found myself ready to move forward because of my religious beliefs. al gore might call this a "faith tradition." i know that no matter what life sends my way, my family and my belief in God will see me through. this knowledge is one of my greatest assets.