Sunday, April 08, 2007

ritahhhhhhh!

i love big hunk candy bars. when i am driving somewhere on a road trip (so-called) this is the mainstay of my gee dunk purchasing regimen. it has long been this way. i believe i discovered the beauty of the big hunk from my dad. big hunks, suzy q's and doctor pepper were the junk food of my childhood and youth. while dp and the big hunk are still very viable in my life, the suzy q is so rife with sugar that i feel like i may fall into a diabetic coma if i eat one.

while a missionary on the navajo reservation, the big hunk assumed a whole new level of interest in my life. a navajo singer recorded a song that was played on the reservation radio stations for a very long time. it was a bout a man, his girl rita, and a candy bar. after much fruitless searching, i recently found the song on the internet. it took a while, because i didn't remember the singer's name, nor the name of the song.
listen to the song

in case you don't care to listen to the live rendition, here are the words. it's not a very poignant song; but ,it makes me laugh:

i met ole rita down by the graveyard yesterday,
and she told me that she would love me whole lotta days.
and then i told her that i wanted to marry her,
but she said you got to steal the candy bar.

so i went on down to the tradin' post to steal the candy bar,
she was waitin' outside by the gasoline pump for me.
i went inside and took an ole big hunk candy bar,
stuck it in my pocket, tried to leave the store.

as i was walkin' by the peanut brittle, a man came up to me,
he said, "sonny boy ,you're in big, big trouble."
i said, "what's wrong mr. tradin' post man,
i didn't do anythin' to you."

he reached into my pocket, took out the candy bar.
he said, "son, your goin' up to jail."
an' the navajo police came an' took me away
i'll never see rita no more

i'm sitting in the jail house waiting for the day,
to get on back home to her.
but i guess i'll always be here in window rock my friend,
i'll never see rita no more
just because of that crazy candy bar.